Monday, March 19, 2018

Fire potential

Pretty much constantly, I find myself driving past piles of wood by the road from trees people cut down in their yards and thinking: "Free firewood! I ought to throw that in the back of the car and take it home to burn it."

The problem is, of course, that I am too lazy to actually make the fires. I kept the fireplace clean this year till after my fundraiser for Josh, and since then I have made maybe three fires. I keep finding myself in the rec room with Graham or Natalie watching TV rather than in the living room with Mary, watching a fire.

Fact is, the narratives of the two are more or less one and the same. It is just that TV excites more passion in the moment and offers one more to discuss, whereas fire expresses the essential truth.

No comments: