Thursday, April 08, 2010

Lunch sighting

At lunch today with mom at Panzanella in Carrboro an older fellow and a younger woman were seated behind me. Upon inspection he proved to be none other that Dean Smith himself. I was, of course, star struck, having not seen the man in some 20 years, and at first I was afraid from the way his daughter/granddaughter was helping him that he may have been beset with some sort of degenerative neurological condition.

But my mom said hello to them, so I actually shook his hand, and he actually seemed fine, just reflected his non-trivial 78 years of age. I had always thought that he should challenge Jesse Helms for his senate seat, as he was one of the few if not the only person who could have hoped to have kicked the racist old fuck out of office and wiped his stench off of our fair state, but I also understood that he had done plenty for North Carolina and just wanted to retire at a normal age and be left alone.

The most striking thing, I must say, was how blue his eyes were. Paul Newman, movie star blue.

No comments: