Saturday, March 20, 2010

The real deal

There was so much praise for Andrew Ross Sorkin's To Big to Fail. Everybody was saying it was the best book about the crisis.  So I read it.  Although I stopped and read two novels while I was in the middle of it. For the most part, while I could see the guy had done a lot of leg work, it seemed like a glorified distillation of all much of the stuff we were reading in the press for the last couple of years, only more gossipy. But it wasn't all that great, really. You can only watch John Mack and Lloyd Blankfein sweat and Tim Geithner be all stone-faced for so long.

Then I started reading an excerpt from Michael Lewis's The Big Short.  Sorkin is a journallist, but Lewis is a writer. The excerpt is so good that I have to keep reading it, so I've reserved a copy at the local bookstore and will be go and pick it up after I feed Natalie and put Graham to bed.  And do a little wrestling.

In other news, last night we watched 4 Christmases with Vince Vaughn, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Duval, Sissy Spacek, John Voight, Jill Clayburgh, and some blonde with big tits. Quite a cast! It was stupid but very funny.  Vaughn at the top of his game.

1 comment:

Steed said...

I thoroughly enjoyed TBTF. It was written as a thriller, with one-page vignettes that contained a dramatic development along one of multiple plots. This gave it a lot of momentum. It also sketched out the story behind about 50 real figures, and gave you a good sense of their personalities with some juicy quotations.