Friday, May 06, 2005

Traffic

An old theme. Traffic to the blog, while OK, is lagging a little bit. On the one hand, I shouldn't care, just write, right? But since that fateful moment when Todd showed me how to hook up a counter, I confess to a more than mild fascination with my traffic. How many people? Who's coming by? My frickin self-esteem is tied up with it.

How to improve it? Can't email my list all the time, then I just annoy them. May get a mild spike, even add a regular visitor, but must exercise restraint. Particularly when I think that my most recent posts have been underwhelming?

Link to others' blogs? No time to look for them.
Post comments on famous blogs? Have to read them and have something to say. Little time for it.
Stick in popular keywords like Britney Spears or Lindsey Lohan or "Brad and Angelina." Will drive cheap, non-repeatable traffic. Keywords with a better chance of luring sticky blind visitors might be Lewis Mumford or Dean Smith or My Bloody Valentine or Theodore Fontane.

We'll see. Probably should start inserting random but appropriate keywords as an experiment.

But you guys keep coming back. Or I get depressed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At a recent gathering of friends, no less than sixty percent reported having this blog tabbed as a favorite. This particular group may be too slack to actually click through and be counted as visitors to your blog. In order to increase your traffic, you need only to combine an occasional personal appearance with your fine writing.