Monday, February 20, 2023

What's going on

I awoke today in a funk. I am emotionally exhausted.

Looking back at my post from Saturday I find I wasn't really clear as to what was going on, though people could read within the lines. Mary got on a plane early Saturday because her brother George's medical crisis had accelerated and he is most likely nearing the end. George has had an amazing run. He broke his neck maybe 43-44 years ago and has survived this long. Not without challenges, he has found ways to enjoy life, and even found love in the form of Susan, who brought with her her daughter Allison, who has in turn brought Justin and their boys Dylan and Haydn into our lives. Pretty remarkable.

We all knew a day would come when he would tick no longer. It could be today, though he could always surprise us. But this event has accelerated pretty rapidly, and getting Mary up there and then communicating with the kids -- Natalie who is sad because she's far away and wished we had been more transparent earlier in the process, Graham who is not showing a lot of emotion publicly but who is in his own way closest to George of all of us save Mary -- it has been pretty draining.

On top of a bit of the continued soap opera of work and other little stuff.

I must say I am super glad to have a three-day weekend to process it all.


Codicil: I took Adam 7-6 today and feel much better having done so. We both played well, but I didn't fold in the tiebreaker, which is very nice. Basically I cared enough about winning to not shoot myself in the foot.

No comments: