Friday, February 10, 2023

Queasy Tidings of Spring

Looking at the weather for the next 10 days, it's impossible not to think here in NC of the onset of Spring, even though we're really only halfway through the season technically. We know it's coming early here in the South, that's normal. Spring is lovely, I should be excited about it being easier to live more of our lives outside, etc.

But I'm not. I am filled with a little bit of dread instead. Partially this feeling surely comes from global warming and the anxieties it drives, particularly as we can see that mankind is not doing a good enough job changing our behavior to slow its path.

But it's also just about aging, I'm pretty sure. The early onset of Spring serves to confirm the general acceleration of time that comes with aging. The globe seems to rush ever more heedlessly around the sun, without the slightest thought of how I feel about it, which is just so very inconsiderate. 

No comments: