Thursday, February 16, 2023

Less is more

In recent weeks I've sat through a couple of presentations -- a friend from Princeton's near 2-hour Zoom on AI and what it means, which included the kitchen sink to be sure, and a presentation from the NC AG's office on frauds targeting elders. Each of them was presented by a lovely and dedicated person and contained reams of usual information, but at the end of each I was completely sapped and really hadn't gained much.

I was reminded of the McKinsey rule that no slide should ever have more than five bullets on it. If you are tempted to have more than that, it means you haven't thought about what you're trying to say. Similarly, there's that old folk saying "I would have written you a shorter letter, but I didn't have the time."

Probably a similar critique could be leveled at this blog. Rather than continuing to crank out content on an undifferentiated basis, my ideas -- if they exist -- could likely find greater purchase if I distilled them into a book and marketed them effectively. Such is life. For now I don't have time to do that. Maybe later. 

No comments: