Thursday, November 10, 2022

Mid-term wrap up

So it turns out that things weren't as bad as expected electorally -- everywhere but in North Carolina, which ran pretty much according to script. Ted Budd got through, but really that comes as little surprise. Cheri Beasley is a lovely woman and a fine human being but not a dynamic campaigner or fundraiser. Before Jeff Jackson conceded the race to her back whenever that was I had been getting emails from him every day or so telling me what he was doing to get out to all 100 counties. From her side -- crickets. I have given enough money in the past that her machine should have been able to find me. Lord knows all kinds of national campaigns were sending me notices.

We barely squeaked through in the legislature to protect Governor Cooper's supermajority, and I'm proud to say that it was the flipping of the seat in Person County, formerly held by Larry Yarborough but now claimed by Ray Jeffers, a nice young black guy who had served as a County Commissioner from a very young age and done good things for the county.

Not that I can claim much credit there, except for one day of canvassing. Mom and I had both given money to the county party in earlier cycles and I had been to meetings, but this cycle I had been disengaged and tired. 

I have a sense that maybe I'm not alone, that NC Democrats had gotten a little defeatist this cycle. It has been hard with Mark Robinson polling well and with the Wake County DA banging on Josh and... I feel reenergized and somewhat encouraged by the failure of many of Trump's most favored candidates too and the success of moderate candidates like the Kansas Governor as well as the failure of the anti-abortion measure in  Kentucky. 

I feel like nuance is returning to American political life. I myself am disappointed with some of the things Biden is doing and disenchanted by some of the furthest reaches of Democrats in the culture wars. It is entirely possible there may one day be a Republican for whom I might vote. But lord knows there's no sign of one in NC, and they need to banish the NRA from their pantheon and get their lives straight on climate change. I'll take AOC over the NRA any day because I believe her heart is in the right place.

No comments: