Sunday, October 16, 2022

Receiving praise

On a call the other day with a college classmate, someone who teaches English at one of our shiniest institutions of higher learning, she reiterated something that she had said before which was that I was brilliant, then she asked if I had any book ideas. This is all of course catnip to the ears of the Grouse, though in many ways I don't know what to do with it and don't know how to respond to such statements. What does one say beyond "you are too kind"?

I am reminded of the deadpan little comedy Frances Ferguson, which very consciously thematizes the influence of the protagonist's conventional good looks on the arc of her life. Early in the film an older guy in a store says to her "you're very attractive" and she responds "you say that as if it's a good thing." Later a woman in group therapy says to her "you're not that hot," to which she responds "thank you."


To the extent that praise references something perceived to be a largely innate quality (brilliance, beauty), does it really reflect on the actual recipient, or does it just call attention to his/her good fortune? In some ways these types of questions takes us right into Cartesian mind/body dualism and/or nature/nurture debates.

For the most part I'd rather hear someone say that it's clear that I've been working hard and that my life and professional trajectory have made it possible for me to have interesting thoughts, just as canonical wisdom for parenting says that we should praise our children for making an effort rather than for accomplishments. In fact, I do think I work pretty hard, though it's not always apparent when I wear the same old-school grey sweatpants and beat-up slippers every day and often don't shave and shower till after early evening exercise. Life during pandemic times, sigh.

No comments: