Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Maintaining optimism

It must be owned that it is hard to maintain one's optimism in the face of the consistent downbeat drumming of the market, war in Ukraine, Xi Jinping's ever firming grip in China and stated goals vis-a-vis Taiwan, neo-fascist success in Italy, and so on. Yet in some sense maintaining optimism and a faith in the future and the long view is part of my job.

So I seek out silver linings daily. But in some sense intellectually this feels dishonest, as if I am in fact actively seeking confirmation bias.

But I guess the fact is that in times of gloom and doom and I seek positive news, whereas in times of excessive ebullience I kind of tend in the opposite direction. Not that I'm exactly looking for reasons that things should come crashing down. But I am always aware that things will always reverse. So I guess in some sense I am just a contrarian/realist.

No comments: