Tuesday, June 15, 2021

The driveway

Sunday I took time for a project I had been deferring for sometime: I pulled the cars out of the driveway, got out the big push broom (and then a smaller broom and a metal rake) and went to work cleaning up all the leaves and other vegetable matter that had been building up on it and the front walkway. It ended up taking about an hour and a half, and I was sweaty and tired by the time I was done.

There was a lot of it, both along the edges and in the middle of the driveway and especially along the joints in the concrete. Much of it was highly decomposed and already turned into soil or well on its way there. There was also a lot of moss on the steps from the driveway down to the patio by the side door.

My mind went back to Mary slipping on a slick spot in the driveway a couple of years back and either spraining her wrist or getting a little fracture in her arm. That's what needs to be controlled for, for her, for mom, for guests, and so on. I could never fall down, of course, having a perfect sense of balance.

Also, when dark spots build up on the driveway it just looks like shit. I can't wait for the power washer guy to get here and blast the hell out of the driveway and patio and deck and -- most importantly -- the metal roof. It could be that I could have just waited and power washing would have taken care of all of this. But then what would I have blogged about?

No comments: