Monday, June 14, 2021

Screwing my head on right

Like it or not, a five-day work week starts today, It was a fine weekend: biking, tennis, food, TV, sports, I even tackled a project around the house that I had been putting off and dropped in to Dick's to pick up a tennis ball hamper to replace the one I ran over back in the spring. But I am not excited for Monday.

Part of it, I suppose, is that I am still stuck in COVID rhythms while the world reopens, occasioning some friction and anxiety. Also, there's just a lot going on on many fronts and I need a proper vacation, but I honestly haven't the foggiest where I'm going to slip it in between various road trips to see family, check out colleges, and get Natalie back to school.

Although, and this fucked with my head going into the weekend, Mary had told me that Natalie was not excited to road trip with me because I got stressed out about traffic, etc. Mostly traffic. It is true that sometimes I do get pissed and curse and whatnot. But come on, am I supposed to be perfect, given all I do for her? It took me a day or two to work through the disappointment in this news and come to accept I don't need her to think I'm perfect in every way, that she can have her own life etc. Also I could just email her and say I'll work hard to do better.

Plus do I really necessarily want to road trip from Austin to Chapel Hill (and thence perhaps a week later to New Haven before heading to a wedding over Labor Day weekend)? It's kind of a lot.

No comments: