Sunday, June 27, 2021

Putting Natalie in a Lyft

Since I was out on the West Coast and Natalie is too, I stopped through San Francisco to see her. Yesterday, in typical Troy fashion, we set out from John Fox's place on the edge of the Mission with a vague plan to wander through neighborhoods and check things out. We ended up walking all the way out to the ocean via Golden Gate Park, about seven miles. On the way there we had Banh Mi, some pineapple buns from a special Chinese bakery in Sunset that Natalie had read about where there was a line around the corner. We got coffee and also blisters. It was about 7 miles all told. Then we took a tram and a bus back. It was lovely.

In the evening we were pooped and got burritos from this place that was acclaimed for being the best. They were fine, but I'm not sure what all the fuss was about.

Also, on Friday night we went to a fancy sushi place and got Omakase, the curated sushi prix-fixe where each morsel is narrated for you by the wait staff. It was more expensive than I am willing to admit in public. Some of the fatty tuna had been massaged by the chef for an hour to enhance its tenderness. We both agreed that the sea urchin was an acquired taste we didn't care to acquire.

This morning I put her in a Lyft when she was headed back out to Silicon Valley, actually going down to Santa Cruz to see some fella from Wesleyan she had recently met. After she got in the car I started crying, which was rather unexpected. I remember it being difficult to part from her in her freshman year, when she was a little overwhelmed with the newness of being away from home and she herself was emotional. This time, to the best of my knowledge, it was just me. Oh well, I suppose it would be much worse if I was like "good riddance." 

 

No comments: