Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The beast awakens

Back on the court with my boy Z for the first time since he wrestled the dread bug to the mat after something of a tussle. It was his first time back on the court in six weeks or so. In the first set, his long absence was showing itself, and it took all of my mental discipline not to let the door open the slightest and allow myself to win every game. That is hard for me. I love my friends and generally some part of me will loosen up and let them have a game or two. But it would have been dangerous to have opened that door. 6-0

He had no interest in stopping, of course, and in the second he was having none of it. Z was up 4-1 and in my brain I'm going "what the fuck? what will I say to the guys up at the lake next weekend?" So I dug in and brought it back to 4-4, then he closed me out with characteristic aplomb to win at 6-4.

After that, I feel nothing but Tiger pride in the fight of my boy. But we ain't done.

No comments: