Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Wellness

Everybody in my industry talks about holistic financial planning, and there is tremendous buzz about the concept of financial wellness. Many of my reflections here on the blog have been about the interrelations between aging, decay, and maintenance, and you can be assured that in the back of my mind I am thinking in terms of time allocation, which can be managed with and translated into money. And I have often made the analogy between the financial advisor/planner and the general practitioner physician, in conversation if not here.

The more I think about it, I am increasingly of the mind that there is no fine or firm line between financial wellness and wellness generally. They are intimately bound up together. This thinking is to some extent being facilitated by William Goetzmann's Money Changes Everything, a book by a Yale professor which looks at the roots of finance going back to Mesopotamia. It is not light reading.

I have to present to a 401k in a couple of weeks on financial wellness, am in the process of developing the presentation. We'll see how much I meld the concepts of financial with physical/mental wellness in this presentation.

No comments: