Sunday, May 25, 2014

Champions

I haven't been watching much soccer this season -- no matter what Mary tells you.  I basically missed all of the Champions League matches, so I was astounded to see the progression as Atletico Madrid made its way to the final, even as it sneaked through and won La Liga.

So I had to watch the final against cross-town rivals Real Madrid.  And it was a freaking classic, with Atletico muscling its way to a 1-0 goal, only to have victory snatched from it in the 93rd minute by Sergio Ramos' header.  And then get pummeled.

I don't have much to say, but I will say this.  There was no reason to give Christiano Ronaldo that penalty as the 2nd overtime was drawing to a close with Real. The game was done.  Atletico had been humiliated enough by Marcelo's effortless goal to make it 3-1.  The guy who was guarding Ronaldo was basically playing on a sprained ankle.  Yeah, he fouled him, but they shoulda let it go.

And Ronaldo ripping off his shirt and showing off his big bad muscles?  Please.  He squandered the good will he had built up with me over the last year or so.  It's not like he was the player who made the difference.  That was first Angel di Maria and then Gareth Bale, who had created opportunities all game, and then at long last finished.

No comments: