Sunday, May 16, 2010

Graham gets his white belt

After months of stonewalling, I finally got Graham to recite his student's creed to his dojo at tae kwon do.  I only was able to do it by half-threatening to not take him anymore if he didn't do it.  Graham practiced once for me, and in his soft little voice he said:

I believe in myself.
I am confident.
I can accomplish my goals.

I believe in what I study.
I am disciplined.
I am ready to learn and advance.

I believe in my teachers.
I show respect to all who help me progress.

So when we got to class, I told the dojo that Graham was ready to say it, and at the beginning of class he called Graham over to him in a corner (I was glad he didn't have to do it in front of all the other kids).  But then, before class began, he called Graham over to him in front of all the other kids, told them Graham had said it and was going to receive his white belt.  Graham was visibly very happy. Then he told all the kids about how he had gotten his own white belt not so long ago (he's about 24 or so), but had stuck to it and become a black belt.  Then he pulled the white belt from within his robe and tied it snuggly around Graham's waist, and all the kids gave Graham a big round of applause.

I was very proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

K-A-R-A-T-E CHOP!