Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Posture and being

In their book on Kafka and minor literatures, Deleuze and Guattari make a big deal out of head postures in Kafka: the way K's head is ever prostrate before the court, the contrast between bending and being upright and what that implies about relations of power. When I was in college I didn't really get it. I thought the book seemed cool and it was a nice bright orange and I like Kafka, but I didn't get their point.

I've got an OK desk chair that I've had now for about a decade. Wrote my dissertation in it, and then have learned much of markets and earning a living in it. But as my eyes have gone and my laptop screen has gotten progressively smaller over the years, I find myself scrunched over, shoulders bent forward, slumped. Bad energy. Bad chi. And it translates into back pain.

So I have to force myself to sit up straight, and when I do that, I have more energy. Probably exposes some chakras or something. But, inevitably, I find myself slumping again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chakra schmachakra, it's the weight of that certain something pulling ya down bro, lay off the cream.

Mark said...

I would recommend an excellent small book called "The Care of The Neck," by one Robin McKinzie, a New Zealander by birth and reknowned expert physical therapist. He has another very useful one called "The Care of The Back," also excellent. His much more voluminous work, "The Extremities," also looks intriguing ... In "The Care of The Neck," he proposes some very simple exercises to correct neck posture and relieve the problems associated with it (cervico-occipital headaches, etc.). You should definitley check this little volume out. My fiance says it completely revolutionized her life!