Friday, May 01, 2009

David Foster Wallace

Was someone I had basically avoided. Infinite Jest seemed like something I should definitely read but something so taxing that I shouldn't actually try to, and so many of those young bad boy genius authors have been so disappointing. But now am reading his profile in the New Yorker and he seems rather kindred in many respects, and the extract from his last work published there is interesting, so I may need to wade into the guy.

Went to the city today.
At 8th and 30th, on the West hand side of the street, I espied a Chinese restaurant called "Dinersty". Hmm. I think they were aiming at a pun, but somehow went off track.

Wondered if I would see anybody wearing masks. Sure enough, an Asian couple on the 1:01 train back to Princeton had their mouths scrupulously covered.


1 comment:

mrsquare said...

you're right on about D F Wallace's disappointing bad boy genius; Infinite Jest has so much going on that it can't deliver. But there's a certain pleasure to authors who are so damn smart they can't help themselves, and on that he's worth diving into.

I enjoyed "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" a lot when I was younger & more post-modern, and suspect I would still enjoy it today.