Thursday, January 08, 2009

Ohh, it's late

Once more it's gotten late and I haven't posted. In some ways that's good. It means I'm busy, and I'm not overly fixated on anything.

I will say this. After getting Mary Linda Thompson's recent Versatile Heart, which is quite a good record, I got her more, older Linda Thompson records for Christmas. And I've discovered that she, while a good singer, really is at a disadvantage without a good guitarist beside her, which means her ex-husband Richard back in the day and her son Teddy more recently. And I think it's a pretty observable trend that folksy singer chicks really need a good guitarist accompanying them, whether it's Gillian Welch with David Rawlings or Joni Mitchell with... Joni Mitchell. You listen to Carol King now and it's all flat, lame strumming and simple finger-picking, not in the same frickin ballpark with Joni.

That's all I've got to say.

No comments: