Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Grey day

An almost grizzly day of boredom in New Jersey, with faint flickers of life only in the budget sushi I found on my plate at lunch.

Also, come to think of it, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the first bit of Simon Schama's Landscape and Memory. I saw Schama on the BBC commenting on the credit crunch in October and he was all handwaving freneticism, and though you sometimes have to bushwack through the virtuosity of his dense prose, the dude is clearly loaded with deep and broad thinkings.



This is a guy, mind you, that Columbia recruited from Harvard and gave a University Professorship, meaning he could teach whatever the hell he wanted (Edward Said was another), as a deal-sweetener to bring his wife to Columbia's medical school! It's rather mind-boggling. Apparently she's astoundingly good at splicing mice genes or some such.

So I'll keep reading, heavy though it is.

No comments: