Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Freak n geek

So I'm sitting in the Market Cafe area of the local Wegman's (a grocery, for you non-initiates), responding to email, minding my own business, when this sweaty bespectacled freckly guy in a baseball cap comes up to me uttering some pseudo-italianate nonsense about by laptop. "I'm a techy," he explains, "just checking out your set-up. Wow, that's an old laptop." I say "It does the job" or somesuch, and he moves on outside onto the deck with his sub, his soda, and his buddy.

A few minutes later I head out onto the deck to talk on the phone, and I hear Mr. Computer telling his pal: "I hacked into the Vatican, like, where the pope lives. I figure I'm not a believer so I gotta know what they're up to." And his pal gives the most Beavis and Butthead-like "Cool... heh heh heh" that I've ever heard.

Later, as I'm driving off, I see the guys moving slowly through the nasty summer heat in the parking lot on/with their bikes. Mr. Technical was pushing his, for some unclear reason. There was no big hill which would justify it. I don't think this is a good place to be a computer geek.

No comments: