Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Righteous one

Walter told Mary that one thing my dad and I have in common is that we're sure we're right all the time. I'm sure that was plenty true at one point in time, but I'm surprised that I still project that. I personally feel that I solicit other people's opinions all the time and have a pretty solid notion of where my expertise stops, which is roughly right at the edge of my non-trivial girth.

The one thing that may be confusing is that I long ago came to the conclusion that, insofar as there is no absolute truth and that nobody is ever absolutely right, that it does nobody any good to spend your whole day prefacing every statement with some lame caveat like "In my opinion" or "It seems to me" or "You may not share this belief, but..." No. Whatever you say, everybody knows it's just what you think, so why coddle it? Everyone is always seeking to generalize their opinions, advocating for their ideas. If you don't act like you believe what you're saying, you know nobody else is gonna.

But I think I'm able to implement this idea-marketing rather gently, much of the time. Unlike back in the day, when I was just hepped up. Funny that I seem otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you... as we let our own light shine we unconciously give other people the permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. Nelson Mandela said that. So did Samuel L. Jackson when he played Coach Carter in the movie of the same name. Walter should do some windsprints and pushups and appreciate you keeping it real, dog. Plus, your penis is huge.