Thursday, January 26, 2006

Interruptions

Barton Biggs cites studies that say that email impairs intellectual development.

20 somethings email and IM each other all day long. NY Times cites an instance of IM posting a question to an informal network (etymology of "pinging") that returned an answer as quickly as google.

It seems entirely plausible that individual intellectual development slowed by constant interruption. It sure feels right. But this is a heroic investor-intellect model, which some think is receding. But does collective knowledge suffer when the network is used as a mental prosthesis? Is one genius better than a highly interactive swarm?

The youngsters I work with are not stupider than I was at their age. Quite the contrary. But maybe they're just retro-oddballs.

At the end of the day, the truth is surely somewhere in the middle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder if checking your blog while I am on the phone is interrupting my work, but I never remember what I was doing when I finish so it is hard to tell.