Friday, January 27, 2006

Home and improvements

As I've said before in different ways, I hate home improvements. The only good justification for doing them rather than outsourcing and reading something productive is that one feels connected to one's home. Disalienation.

But is that just neo-peasant hoo ha? Do rich people who outsource all routine maintenance and concentrate on doing their own business lead less fulfilling lives? Is it even necessary to be tied to a house, a locale, to be fulfilled? Is it true that the rich, powerful, and fabulous are so miserable and isolated, as the myth of the earnest middle class -- supported by the scandalous tales of celebrity divorce and excess trumpeted in People and Us and the like -- would have us believe.

I don't know about the latter. And I'm probably too old to work real hard finding out. But I surely hate fixing stuff.

No comments: