Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Political text

I really should be blogging on politics. I used to, back in the Fall, then I got out of the habit. So here we go.

  • Karl Rove. What a surprise. He looks evil. He gets evil things done. Now we find out he's actually been performing crimes. And I'm sure it'll roll right off his plump white butt. He'll get chased out of office and end up in some deep back room of the Republican establishment where there will be fewer controls on his Machiavellian machinations.
  • Abramoff. Had never heard of the guy, but he's unmitigated evil.
  • John Roberts. What a joke. I thought for a second it was Dan Quayle. He looks like the Southwestern SVP for sales. The least Supreme Court looking person I ever saw.
Generally speaking, I must say that I'm pretty defeatist at this point in time, even if the Times magazine detailed how a wacky Berkeley linguist has been able to on-board the Democratic Party to his theory of "framing" political discourse and the theory was used successfully in the filibuster and Social Security reform debates, I can't shake off the general feeling that we're surrounded by a bunch of smug suits and bible thumpers who are determined and empowered to do to America what they will, come what may.

No comments: