Saturday, July 16, 2005

Fat babies and seriousness



Plump children are regarded as a sign of affluence in China, and in other agrarian societies fat was also praised. After a week of Graham puking and not eating, now I get it. He's slimmer than before, not dangerously so, but enough.

I can look back at pictures of Graham on playground at South Bristol 12 days ago, there he is, plump and happy. Happy nothing, he's in ecstasy, rocking back and forth in that little fire chief convertible on springs.

And now, as I lay next to him on the couch after a 6AM puke, he stares at the ceiling, doesn't laugh at a rasberry to the belly, or peek-a-boo, or any of my best material. In some ways he's reminiscent of the all too serious, all too adult Christ on Mary's lap. You know: "I'd better have some of this breast. I've gotta expiate all the sins of the world." That kind of thing. Good work there Christ.

No comments: