Just finished Sidetracked by Henning Mankell, a Wallander mystery. I'm pretty sure I'm done with Mankell.
In a genre of mysteries known as procedurals, Wallander is perhaps the most procedural of all. Too many scenes of all the detective team sitting around the situation room pondering all the facts and debating them? Should they call in outside help from Stockholm or not? Should they look at this or not? Could the killer be a this or a that? Who gives a hoot. Just show me some progress.
And there's all too much Scandinavian moralizing. "How could society be so depraved that a man could do that?" "In modern Sweden, how could such conditions persist?" On and on and on. Get over it.
I have one more Wallander novel on my shelf that I picked up back for cheap back when the Bookshop on Franklin was going out of business. I think I am going to put in in a bag with this one and let Graham take it to the Extraordinary Ventures thrift store in Carrboro where he's picking up some hours pricing rare books, and where we should all be doing our thrifting nowadays.
No comments:
Post a Comment