Saturday, December 16, 2023

Accepting dental situation

A couple of weeks ago I shared the story of the gums around my front lower incisors not so felicitous encounter with a plastic toothpick hidden inside a catered slider. Since then things have been getting slowly if steadily better. My bite has gone from feeling out of whack to back to normal. The pain has subsided except for in certain situations, for example when biting into crusty bread. So I had been largely avoiding those.

Then I had an appointment for a cleaning at the dentist. My hygienist, an excellent woman, took a closer look at the situation, got my read on it ("93% better"), shot an xray, looked closely around the tooth, then gently informed me of her opinion. "If I were you, given your amount of bone loss (from periodontitis), I'd be very careful biting into things that require you to tear, like apples or pizza crust." Her tone of voice implied that she was giving me general advice, not strictly limited to this specific tooth and its period of convalescence.

Which leaves me in the camp of more knife and forking, smaller bites, generally more circumspection, lest I fall into the permanent soft diet camp or even more expensive and tenuous dental interventions. Rage, rage against the dying of the light is not really on the menu here. I just have to make peace with the situation and roll with it. 

Fortunately, now it is lunchtime and I snapped up an intriguing new bowl from Trader Joe's, the chicken schwarma bowl. Let's see how this one goes.


No comments: