Thursday, August 12, 2021

Talking to one or many

Just as I was about to sit down and blog, I saw a note on yesterday's task list that reminded me that I needed to send a card to a friend from college whose mother had passed away recently. I went and did that, I even wrote the address by hand rather than putting one of those pre-printed sticker on there since the whole point of doing it in the old way is to do it yourself and do it slowly and individually, in acknowledgment of the uniqueness of the loss.

Of course this is in marked contradistinction to the blog, which goes out to millions. Just kidding, my readership is not that big, the true contrast is of course to one of the well-known social networks, you know what I'm talking about. This blog is an intimate space, more so because my real name's not on it, read by a few, and I am grateful when any of you stop by.

We are fortunate to live at a point in history when there are many ways of keeping in touch with people. I have found it helpful to cultivate many of these modes of communication, the blog being but one, the telephone is even better, but the lunch or coffee is the best. Though of course we only have so many of them to allocate out, and often they are claimed by my favorite periodicals. Though even as I write that I realize that -- as the pandemic rises again and we move rapidly from solstice to equinox and the days move imperceptibly but inexorably towards brevity and cold -- that really I need to be getting out to see more folx while the getting's good.

No comments: