Monday, August 30, 2021

One more day on the road

After a lovely lunch in Brooklyn with Corinna, sandwiches on folding chairs in the shade of her front stoop, I made my way out to Princeton. First coffee with my friend Steve, then some wandering about town, seeing what was new, what was closed, the usual COVID era stuff. In general there are many more good noodle shops than once there were, and Labyrinth Books is a great joy. Maybe the best book store I know of right now anywhere. They had pretty much all of Chaim Potok's books. Chaim Potok. Hadn't thought of him for years. Does anybody still read him? If they do, I know where to find them. To support Dorothea Von Moltke's fine shepherding of the enterprise, I snatched up a couple of tomes and bustled out. I know COVID is generally pretty light in Princeton, but there is no reason to fuck with anything by lingering unnecessarily, especially as I will be basically sneaking the books into my house, where I have plenty.

Then out on the street I ran into Stacy and talked for a while, then I visited with Craig and Nico at Maggie's Playground. Then I ran into Ted and Kirsten, on whose porch I was planning to have dinner, then we ran into Vivian the Elder, who later joined us on the porch. Then Alberto, who lives across from Ted and Kirsten, responded to an earlier text and stopped over to the porch for a few. All in all a proper Princeton afternoon. 

Tomorrow I drive back to Chapel Hill, concluding my 5,000 mile August. It will be good to be done. Except for Alan's wedding this weekend in Virginia. Sigh.

No comments: