Monday, December 14, 2020

Oh, the Places We'll Go, if we can get our shit in gear

My subscription to Barron's, like so many of our subscriptions, is both a bane and a curse. The flow of periodicals into this house never ceases, and distracts from both the reading of books, the writing of blog posts, the cleaning of grout in showers, exercise, sleep, etc. Though it doesn't slow my consumption of ~60 minutes of TV and half an hour of soccer highlights every night.


But I do try to read them. Today I was reading a series of interviews of a variety of fund managers and economists etc. about what they think the future will look like. The last question asked of each of them is "Where do you want to travel when all this is over?"

Good freakin question, and it has get my mind to working. For some time I've had two key mental destinations, both of them in the former Soviet Union: the mountains of Georgia and Lake BOf aikal. Though, honestly, when I think about Baikal, if the world were really my oyster, I'd extend the trip to embrace all the great lakes of the post-Soviet world: Lake Sevan in Armenia, Lake Issyk-Kul in Kyrgyzstan, Lake Ohrid in Macedonia, and Lake Baloton in Hungary. I've already checked out the smaller but magical Lakes Bohinj and Bled in Slovenia.

Of course, to do this would mean pretty much quitting my job, but I don't need to do it in one trip. But I do need to get organized to do it at all if I'm to hope that any of my immediate family will join me, before they get settled into the grind of their own lives and careers.

Then I go and Google it and see that Putin is considering restricting tourism to Baikal because of environmental depredation. Which I can totally see. 

No comments: