Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Tippy top of the morning

When I was first starting to build my financial planning practice five years back or so, at the recommendation of the guy who ran my firm (who ended up having some hair on him), I started listening to and reading some of the self-management and improvement books that form part of the canon of the business and sales world: Brian Tracy, Napoleon Hill, Zig Ziglar, etc. There was some kooky shit in there, no doubt, but also more than a dollop of wisdom.

One thing that Tracy talked about was that it was a very beneficial practice to wake up in the morning and write down the thoughts that came to you. To make that a daily practice.

I get that, for sure. Sometimes my mind is racing with the thoughts of the day -- and my morning meditation and sit-ups, push-ups, and reading are a conscious attempt to offset that, and similarly the practice of not touching my computer till 8:15-8;30 (today I was up early so that drifted a little early). But often I have very solid and interesting thoughts flowing into my mind just when I'm sitting down to my first cup of coffee to read. Maybe I should start journaling some of them. On the one hand, I would hate to have to put them on paper and then go back and type them up. Then again, nobody ever said everything needed to be in my blog.

Looking off to my right, I see Charlie Munger's Almanack, and I am reminded of how little he has written (similar to Heraclitus and Wittgenstein). In Munger's case I'm pretty sure it's because he believes that his time is more valuably spent doing other things, reading and/or talking to Buffett and the others in his orbit on the phone, designing dorms at Stanford, really doing whatever he wants to. Who am I to argue with him? 

No comments: