Saturday, October 03, 2020

Change up

For years now, I've been getting up for an 8:30 meeting on Saturdays, either AA or Al Anon. I know I've written about it before. Today I didn't feel like it. I've been working hard, the air in our room was fall-crisp perfect, it was warm under the blankets, and so on. So I've put off my meeting and will either go to the one at 11 or do something I have thought about doing for a while: attend a meeting in another part of the country, like Kansas. We shall see. In the interim I have mixed up the rhythm of the day, coffee on the porch with the cat while watching some of the first leaves of the season come down, etc. 


Let the record reflect the fact that Trump came down with COVID yesterday. It will be interesting to see how I feel if I come across this post fifteen or twenty years from now. Will it seem like a watershed, a big deal? Will all of the sturm und drang of recent months and years seem justified, excessive, or perhaps even underdone?

Of those three options, I think the last is the least likely. We are at a crossroads of some sort, and must really focus to have hope for a bright future for some much of humanity, for further progress towards the UN Millennial Goals, honestly, which are the best ones we've got. So many decisions to make, so many internal contradictions, so many interdependencies (growth vs. sustainability, greater wealth for people in China and elsewhere vs. human rights, etc.).

OK. I should have started writing earlier while my brain was fresher. This is devolving into generalities. Gotta get organized for a meeting and then a ride on my newly-refurbished bike. Plus get stuff organized for Graham's fire pit birthday party tomorrow. 

No comments: