Sunday, November 10, 2019

Phoneless

Graham and I hustled out to the high school at 6:30 this morning to put him on the bus for the big trip to DC that is something of a rite of passage for ECHHS sophomores. He'll be back late Tuesday night. I told him to text us as he got close, which he promised to do, and then hopped on the bus. I said: "You've got your phone, right?" "Of course," he responded.

Then, 30 seconds or so later, he appeared from the bus again. "Actually, I forgot my phone." Since everybody else on the bus had a phone, including our neighbor Tyler, with whom he is rooming, I just slapped him on the shoulder and said "it'll be good for you," and shooed him back up the staircase.

Whether it is also good for us, his parents, is another matter. Although we know that not being in touch with one's kids 24/7/365 was the case since the dawn of time until just a few years ago, we are still used to it. He will be fine, and we probably will be too. But still.

No comments: