Monday, December 31, 2018

Planning and reflection

I went to a talk a month or so ago where this CEO-type was talking about how he always used the week between Christmas and New Year's as a time of reflection and goal-setting for the upcoming year. This is roughly in line with how I have treated the time over the years, but I had never formalized the thinking like that.

So I got all of my expenses totted up and submitted before I came North, so I wouldn't have that odious task hanging over my head.

But, as is the way of all things, I got caught up in the thrall of family and clients. One client recently lost her mother, another was jilted by a lover and may end up moving back to Europe if she can't sort out her job situation, and so on. Helping Mary and Rob empty the attic. Going through George Sr's files making sure we had everything we needed to document Mary Lee's basis in the house, when the time comes to sell. Going up to George Jr's for dinner and to watch Raising Arizona (truly a classic).

Yesterday Graham waxed both Rob and me in chess, in succession. Graham had resisted playing chess against me, saying I took too long. I didn't realize chess was normally played with a clock. I think beating both of us handily was very good for his ego. Afterwards he spent most of the evening on his Chromebook, practicing for Quiz Bowl. I think he is girding for future battle, which is awesome.

So, it's all good. I may not have gotten my CEO seclusion. Or, rather, I may not have spent it a la Stephen Covey, journaling and setting goals. I sat under the blanket, read a book, and looked at the water. So shoot me.

No comments: