Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Wrong Side of History

It's very depressing to watch events unfold in the Middle East and learn how the US has been in bed with nasty repressive regimes.  Part of the depressing part is the fact that I'm just learning about it. I mean,  I subscribe to the Economist, The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, Newsweek, and god knows what else, and I really do read all the time, all day.  I do try to stay informed.

But I'll confess that I generally skip the parts about Africa and the Middle East because, well, it's freaking depressing and intractable so much of the time.   And yes, it is inspiring, like 1989, to watch people shake off dictators and get psyched, but then you realize that they largely freaking hate us, and for rather good reason.

And yes, there is a dread of Islamic fundamentalism.  Who knows where things go from here?  I stood on 5th Avenue on 9/11 and watched those towers burn. What if Israel gets stepped on and things escalate?

And I hate being in a position in my life that I worry about things at that level, but I do.  I've got a job and am trying to fund a renovation and send kids to camp and college and all that, and perhaps even (dare I say it)... horseback riding lessons, so I do watch the portfolio and get concerned at that level.  And I hate that, that earning money makes you yearn for stability and have a vested interest in a shitty status quo ante, even when I know it's just wrong.

No comments: