Monday, March 30, 2009

Guilty

As the crisis draws on I find that I have little life experience (save for a B-list celebrity spotting on Nassau St today -- Melrose Place's Andrew Shue) to blog about. And much of my writing effort, too much, has flown to another of my online avatars: "Ruckmaker", under which name I do battle with the short-sellers and libertarian loonies on Marketwatch's comment boards. It is a relatively victimless addiction, as it's entirely zipless discourse, but still.

I have earlier characterized the voices of the messageboards as "demons," and I don't think that's entirely wrong, but the question is are they my demons or are they shared. "Stock up on ammo," "Obama is a commie","Go long gold", "S & P 350," this is the kind of stuff that floats by on the boards. Some of it is more cogent and disturbing, other is less cogent and disturbing, mostly it's disturbing. Which is why I fight it.

Also because there's a scoreboard.

No comments: