Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Flying ships

Today I read Graham a great book, adopted from a Russian fairy tale, about the Fool of the World who sets out from his village to build a flying ship and thereby win the princess's hand and -- by virtue of his generosity -- gets totally hooked up by this magic dude with a flying ship.  He then collects a motley crew of other magic dudes who sing a lot and they go out and, by God, win the princess's hand.  Very nicely drawn, clearly the basis for the Baron von Munchhausen tales (though minus the teenage Uma Thurman).  


This book made me want to go back to Russia, Putin notwithstanding, and also irrespective of my fears that I'll be hassled at the border because of the mild industrial espionage I at length extricated myself from last autumn.  We may just see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I love your review on "The Fool and the Flying Ship" and I also love this story too. I love the way that the Fool is accompanied by several superhumans along his way to the Tsar's palace and that reminded me of the 19th century X-Men. Have you seen the Robin Williams' version of this tale? It's really funny to watch and Robin Williams is hilarious at narrating the stories.

Website: http://www.rabbitearsblog.webs.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, here's to you on your upcoming special day tomorrow!