Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pre-disastering the car

Our 1996 Legacy Outback wagon has one very rude trick that it likes to play during vacation season. At some point in time, I will stick the key into the ignition and the think doesn't start. It doesn't click or turn over. Just a funereal silence in the steaming summer heat. We've had it happen twice in the Finger Lakes, once on Block Island, and once on Martha's Vineyard. Never more than once a summer.

This happened today when I stopped -- on the way to pick up Mom at the Newark airport -- at the rest stop between Exits 11 and 12 on the Turnpike (was this once the Walt Whitman?). I went in, had a "bio break," and then came out to a non-responsive wagon.

But I know by now what to do. I walked away from the car, affecting nonchalance. I got a drink and a very healthy (to be sure) snack. Ten minutes later, I wiped the grease off my face and went back out to the car. She started right up.

So I'd have to say the car is pre-disastered for the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be your starter, could be a crack in the distributor cap.

Anonymous said...

Just add 1 part enhancement cream to 3 parts motor oil and change your oil and your Subaru will start without hesitation.