Monday, October 02, 2006

Regressing to the mean

I think I recall that The Economist said that McKinsey said that the average piece of user-generated content gets seven views a day. If I've got that right, it is a depressing fact. I work very hard at this blog, and for all my mental sweat equity, my traffic has died back from 13 view per day to 11.

You would think that I would be happy to be trouncing the average by a margin of 57%, but instead it saddens me. I've got a frickin PhD, you know, and my shit is deep. Universities pay hard cold cash for this kind of text, if not much of it.

And what's worse, my numbers are going down. Yes, I know, I should send more promotional emails. Maybe. I should link more. But who has time for that? Before long, I'll be one of the seven hitters, most likely. If posts like this persist.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, unless you write about your schlong getting longer with Pete's Special Potion (or even better, write about your director's experience with said potion) a decline into self-pity will not pull in the eyeballs.

Anonymous said...

The Chapel Hill contingent is good for at least six or seven hits a day minimum. You just need to draw some others.

Anonymous said...

Non response does not equal non readership. I'm at the grouse almost daily. It's like oxycotin or meth - I gotta have it. Oh by the way, there's this buck toothed girl in my son's class who reminds me of you (in a good way). Sending peace and cherrywine your way.

Anonymous said...

meant to say CHEERWINE.

Anonymous said...

ouch, i was excited to see that you got 4 comments but then realized upon reading them that in fact Z posted twice, having misspelled your favorite beverage. but now you're back up at 4 comments which is way more impresive then merely having 11 reads.

Anonymous said...

Please check the Grouse history log for most posts. I believe this is a record breaker.