Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Iconoclasm

Mom recently sent me a box of stuff from childhood, including letters, tapes, and photos. I shall blog about all of them, I swear I will, if I get deeply bored. I'm having a vague feeling that I might have blogged about this before, but oh well.

Amongst the photos are ones of a trip Leslie and I took to Great Britain and Switzerland in 1981. We thought we were bad. I know I did. I had a frickin Hasselblad camera, and I used it to take artistic and scenic pictures of the olde countries and a select few of their denizens. But almost no pictures of me or my sister. Beg though she might, I hardly shot her, even in the crowd at Charles and Diana's wedding. Oh yes, we were there. I thought pictures of people in tourist spots were as uncool as you could get. She may have forgiven me by now.

Only recently did I realize that my attitude was very close to that of the Muslims or the Medieval Christian Iconoclasts: "no graven images" and all that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've forgiven you, but don't do it again!

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Look, scan some pictures of the olde country and send them to me. What did we do in '81? I remember you and Leslie coming through Thun but that's about it. Did we riverboard? Jump off bridges into the Aare? Climb the Eiger?