Friday, April 08, 2005

Station wagons

Walking around Larchmont the other day I counted 25 Volvo wagons in an hour. All of them in the rounder body style, post-1998 or so. The Volvo wagon is like part of the bourgeois uniform up here in the Northeast. My sister has one. Lord knows I think they're purty. I myself sport around in one of the littler Volvos, the S40, after retiring my mom's 1987 240 not long ago. It was her divorce car, you see. So I'm a member of the tribe.

But then my father-in-law, whom we shall call George, gives me a subcription to Consumer Reports, starting with the 2005 Auto guide. Japanese cars take 9 of the top 10 spots for best in class, and totally dominate just about everything. It's unreal. Detroit sneaks a few in, as do Mercedes and BMW, but it's radically disproportionately land of the rising sun.

The Volvo wagon gets a good rating overall, even though some of its sub-ratings aren't so good. Why? Because it's the only non-SUV non-minivan full sized wagon on the market. That's not a Mercedes. Somebody has to occupy the throne.

My point is, why doesn't doesn't Honda/Acura rise up and blow Volvo out of the water? Revive the Accord wagon with a fold-down seat in the rear like the Volvo. Make a spunkier version of it and slap an Acura badge on it. Would you buy that car? I sure as hell would.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that one of the main reasons people buy Volvo wagons is because they have consistently tested out as the safest of semi-affordable cars.

Honda would have to match that to take them down.