Saturday, January 05, 2019

Repetition by accident, and things Mary's mom says

Not for the first time ever, I just wrote a post that substantially repeated what I had written before, only this time just a couple of days ago. In other years I have seen the same themes, even the same jokes, repeat multiple times, on those rare occasions when I go back and re-read things.


But this time it was just a couple of days ago. That's a new low! You would think I might have remembered it. Another of what can only be termed a "proto senior moment." I'm pretty sure I've used that phrase before.

Speaking of seniors, I may take a moment to catalog a few Mary Leeisms. I did this for the kids when they were younger, the cute things they said. I'm sure the kids could do it for us too. Graham recently pointed out that Mary and I were the only people who pronounced "Mueller" like "mule." Everybody else says it like "mull." So shoot us.

In any case, Mary Lee sometimes says words she didn't grow up with funny, and it can only be classed as endearing.  These include "salza" (for "salsa"), "fruton" (for  "futon"), guacamole pronounced with a silent "e" at the end. Over Xmas, she came up with the best one ever. She kept calling spanakopita "cornucopia." You can't beat that.

She turns 87 this year, she won't be with us forever, so we might as well have a written record of this stuff for future reference.

My mom has a few. She is the only person I have ever heard say the word "hurricane" as if it rhymes with "pelican".

No comments: