Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Tricks on tourists

When we got to the airport in Austin a few week back, we went to the Alamo desk to get our rental car.  I had ordered, if not the cheapest category of car, one that was pretty low down there:  "Mid-Size", which in their mind was like a Corolla.  I was banking on a free upgrade.

"Would you like to buy an upgrade?" Asked the woman at the desk, pleasantly enough.  "Nah, I'm good," I responded. Then, when we got up to where the cars actually were, the guy says to me:  "Pick out whatever you want, except for an SUV."  So we got a nice Nissan Altima.  I could have had a Dodge Challenger or something like that, with a Hemi in it, but I thought that would be a bad temptation in Texas, and a bad mileage example for the kids.

Reminded me of a time we were in Florida in the early 80s, and were going onto Sanibel Island.  At the bridge onto the island, you could pay for one way or round trip, which was cheaper than two one ways.  So we bought it.  Then, when we were leaving the island, we saw there was no charge to leave.  Dad thought this was admirably slick.

No comments: