Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Death of Ambition

The Economist had a piece in its year end issue how life begins at 46, and one of the points it made was that people become more comfortable with where they are in life and they let go of ambition.  I kind of get that, kind of don't.

However, the other day I undertook the "Fitness Test" on the elliptical trainer at the gym and was slightly taken aback when, after 11 minutes or so, it told me that my cardio level of fitness was "Above Average" and my VO2 capacity (whatever that is) was 397.  What does "Above Average" mean?, I thought.  For the general population, or for users of this machine.  And so, 3 days later, I went back and took the test again, and was still "Above Average" after 13 minutes, but with max VO2 of 449.

Then, once the test was done, I stayed on the machine and settled into a more moderate workout pace. But after just a few minutes, I felt some cramping in my left calf.  So I got off, stretched, drank some water, and got on a treadmill for a little jogging.  But after 5 minutes there, both of my calves really started to cramp.

And so, as I approach 46, I find that I must respect newfound limits imposed by this mortal coil, and/or hydrate better.  Whatever.  I went to the gym and worked out, which is OK.  And then I went home and didn't even watch FSC, but worked a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oftentimes cramping is noted when the bloodflow is shunted to certain large organs.

Anonymous said...

Uncramp your calves. Unloose your manhood. 46 ain't just a number anymore-it's here and it's huge. Your VO2 max can't handle the moose.