Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blood libel

Now, I dislike Sarah Palin as much as anyone.  I really don't think she should be in positions of responsibility in governments larger than that of Wasilla or whatever you call it.  And she often says ridiculous things which clearly disqualify her for any role in foreign policy, like "our ally North Korea" or "I can see Russia from my yard".  But on the blood libel thing, I think we need to cut her some slack.  I'm fairly educated, and I've paid a reasonable amount of attention to Jewish culture, and I frankly had never heard the phrase "blood libel" before, and certainly wasn't aware of its anti-semitic provenance. So I don't think this can be put down to her exceptional ignorance, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. This is normal ignorance. I guess you could argue that a good politician would have somebody vet his/her public statements.  But she is politician 2.0 par excellence.  Does she have handlers? One would assume they would have advised her not to cross a hotel room in a towel in front of reporters.

It's also entirely conceivable she said "blood libel" full well knowing it would ignite a firestorm, to show the red states yet again that she doesn't care what the mainstream media thinks. But if that were the case, Fox News would be leading with her defense, so I doubt it.

Anyway, here I am talking about her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about blood libel but I know CYG is liable to apply enhancement cream liberally to produce something else Sarah Palin can see from her backyard in Alaska.