Tuesday, June 24, 2008

City Island


On Friday I rode North to White Plains, back down through Scarsdale with its Sotheby's storefront and other signs of excess. On Sunday I charted a new course and headed into the city from Larchmont to City Island. City Island, a seafood oasis I had dreamed of for many a moon, tucked away in a corner of a park in the Bronx.

So I went. And it was interesting. A seafood oasis indeed, but striated a little. Closer to the bridge, old-school Italian and Irish-American types fishing, smoking, talking on cell phones in the still humid late afternoon heat. Further out, the scene turns predominantly black and hispanic with a healthy admixture of white folx, and the restaurants look largely more appealing. Some pretty industrial outdoor seating and parking lots, but big platters of fried seafood and ribs and hushpuppies. In short, worth going back to with a credit card.

More on that later.

1 comment:

Steed said...

Nice post, Clark boy. I dig city island. What could be better than sitting out in the sunshine having fried clams and brewskies? I got to get down there sometime soon. Clark, we should get a boat.