Tuesday, February 27, 2007

In strictest confidence

In AA today, this young girl with a horribly pretentious accent, whom we shall call "Muriel", chimed in for a repeat sharing at the end of the meeting, in response to another woman's tale of having "gone out" and drunk again. In her horribly pretentious accent, she told us that she "never wants to find myself on the streets of Paris again, wandering around my neighbor at 1 in the morning just because I'm drunk. And I never want to find myself lying on my bed at Oxford, staring at my duvet [pronounced, horribly, as "DOO-vay"], thinking "what a beautiful DOO-vay." Like, I'm sorry, how to Paris and Oxford add to the alcoholic, confessional quality here. They don't. She just wanted to make sure we knew she was drunk in some picturesque and prestigious places. I, for one, was impressed, obviously.

No comments: