Thursday, November 11, 2004

For Google -- Dino John Geanokoplos

Sadly, I just googled Yale's old Professor of Byzantine History, Dino John Geanokoplos, and found zero entries. Zero. Which is a shame. It's hard to find a good Byzantinist these days. Who will chronicle the doings of Theodora, the she-bitch of Byzantium? Who will inform younguns of Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, author of The Divine Names and The Celestial Hierarchy, the very founder of apophatic theology, no less? That guy is googlable.

Dino was no softy. The guy gave me a B+ on my term paper, which in today's market would probably be an A- plus a bonus step for not having stolen it. And that one extra A would have made me magna rather than just plain cum. Drat.

I think Dino passed away not long ago, but there's no mention of it on the Yale.edu domain. Equally shameful. Purveyors of knowledge that recondite are not just employees, they're bearers.

We'll check back tomorrow on google and see if I've resurrected him.
Dino John Geanokoplos Dino John Geanokoplos Dino John Geanokoplos Dino John Geanokoplos

1 comment:

Cleric Mikhailovich de Troi said...

Yeah. I had just had the same thought and found his name with an "e" instead of an "i". How embarassing. Thank God almost nobody actually reads my blog. This one of the occupational hazards of trying to write stuff in 15 minutes. True ephemera. Thanx kenster.